LOGO OFFICE DE TOURISME DU PLATAU HAUTEVILLE
Accueil Discovery Heritage buildings Castles

Castles

The castle Château d'Angeville

chateau-angevilleWe do not know when the castle was originally built, on its mound overlooking Lompnes, but it would have been constructed to defend the territory of the Count of Savoy, as the western boundary of his lands bordered the Diocese of Geneva.

 

In the twelfth century the ownership of the castle was transferred from the Dukes of Savoy to the lords of Beaujeu, as part of a marriage contract. Over the centuries, the castle was acquired by a succession of owners. In 1912, with the resort of Hauteville in full swing, it was bought by a hotel owner from Vichy. During the war of 1914-1918, the Castle was requisitioned by the military and in 1917 the French Red Cross turned the castle into a sanatorium. Then, in 1970 it became a rehabilitation centre, which is still the case today.

 

Because it is a working medical facility, the Castle is not open for tourist visits. However, it is possible to access the heart of the terrace, where there is a square pool with a jet of water. Between the courtyard and terrace, there is another, a fountain with a water basin. These water features are both fed by the Angeville lake. 

 

Champdor Castle

chateau-champdorChampdor Castle, with its 14 rooms, was completed in 1743, and, never having suffered the slightest internal structural alteration, its character remains unchanged.

 

Until recently it was a family home, but it became a municipal property in 1995. The tower, which was added in 1851, together with the walkway that surrounds the top floor, gives the castle a rather whimsical and original aspect. The observatory which crowns the building, offers a unique view of the entire region. The facade of the Castle remained intact due to the quality of its white facing stones. Champdor, whose charm and quality is renowned around the world, is located in the middle of a park of 16,000 m2, surrounded by a solid wall of stone The western face of the Castle has a magnificent view of the setting sun, framed by a broad avenue of trees, inviting contemplation and reverie. On its eastern side, the Castle is guarded by a tall and elegant wrought iron gate, which still manages to provide a good view of the main entrance. On the same side, are the stables and other outbuildings and, a little further away, the old bread oven. The castle has a classical pigeon loft in the form of a tower. It is of note because it was by privilege authorized by royalty. Finally, near the North Tower, is the sundial.

 


The castle is not normally open to the public. However, an exhibition of paintings and sculptures takes place every year in July and August

Castle Lacoux

More correctly this is known as Billion House. The Lords of Lacoux used a natural ledge between the upper and lower districts of Lacoux for the construction site of this delightful Castle. It is less austere than the original Castle Montfalcon, which fell into ruin. The present building combines two houses, one built in 1618 and one in 1638.

Castle Longecombe

Situated at the top of the rocky outcrop overlooking the village to the northwest, the site of Castle Longecombe stands at 873 m above sea level, and 70 m above the town. All that remains is a bare earthen platform at the edge of the cliff overlooking the Gorge of Albarine. It was in a position easy to defend and provided a first rate observation point. We don’t have any information on its origins, but its presence was reported in 1267, in a document (a letter of thanks) addressed to the Count of Savoy.

Castle Rougement

Today, Rougement is only a little hamlet, which seems to have forgotten what was, in fact, a very rich history. On a huge rocky prominence to the north of the hamlet, the famous Lords of Rougement built their feudal fortress, alternately the guardians and the despots of these highlands. Little remains of the Castle. Nevertheless the traces of the walls and foundations cover a significant area, and give an idea of the impressive nature of the fortress. There are two mounds on the promontory. At the beginning of the century, there was still a double keep standing on the northernmost mound but this was later destroyed in a landslip. At the top of the mound, a circular excavation has revealed the probable remains of a tower. On the highest hillock, overlooking Varey and Charriere, the most extensive ruins can be found, covering approximately 4000m ².

News

Espace Bien-être sur le Domaine de la Praille

hot tub neige

Read more
Calendar
QUESTIONNAIRE

How did you hear about the Plateau d’Hauteville?








Results
Plateau Hauteville - Ain - Rhône Alpes